Friday, April 17, 2020

Healthy Emotion regulation during Uncertian Times


Healthy Emotion Regulation during Uncertain Times

Managing stress may not be the most important thing on your minds at this time, however it is something we must face to assist with how we function day to day. Yesterday, I participated in a seminar lead by Dr. Mark Brackett, Director of Yale Center of Emotional Intelligence and I wanted to share with you some points that may become helpful as we move forward towards the new normal. Know that it is okay to accept the emotions that you have. Emotions matter and it is imperative that we realize that it is okay to be frustrated, angry, uncertain, and stressed. When we are not properly controlling our emotions we tend to take things out on other people, be less focused on things we need to accomplish and add more stress to our lives. We may indulge in stress eating and over sleeping. Here are a few pointers to assist with regulating our emotions.

·         Practice Mindful Breathing
Mindful breathing cultivates deeper awareness of all of our experiences. The difference between normal breathing and mindful breathing is that you are conscious of your breathing and you are purposely watching your breathing. When breathing mindfully, sit tall in your posture, let your eyes close or look down. Breathe naturally. Put a gentle smile on your face. While breathing you can count your breaths, focus on an image, or repeat a positive phrase. 

·         Getting adequate sleep 6-8 hours; know that disturbed sleep disrupts cognitive functions

·         Exercise
Exercising helps produce endorphins that help us to relax 

·         Monitoring Relationships
Unhealthy relationships can add unnecessary stress to our lives. We can practice positive empathy. Empathy is the ability to share and understand others emotions. When you empathize with others try highlighting what is positive in the situation.

·         Managing our thoughts
40% of our well-being has to do with our outlook on life. To do so we can challenge ourselves to thinking more positively. We can change the conversation in our head with positive thoughts. You can use positive self-talks. For example instead of saying “I’m going to lose it", when we are frustrated, “(insert name) take a deep breathe or walk". We can also use positive appraisal. Positive appraisal allows us to look at situations through a different lens. Try putting a different spin on a situation. Know that the cup is either half empty or half full. It simply depends on how we perceive situations. 

·        Manage life smartly
Routines create certainty. We need routines in our sleeping. Going to bed and waking up at a designated time daily. Scheduling meals, and putting time on our schedule for exercising. Consider your best self, how do you want people to remember you? What is it that you want people to say about you? Try setting a best self-intention every morning. Today I am going to do what…Fill in the statement. Always do things that you enjoy.


·         Be a preventionist over an interventionist

I hope there was something in this blog that helps you not just today but in life. What two emotions regulation techniques do you think would benefit you? What challenges do you think may make the techniques difficult and how would you handle those challenges. I would love to hear from you, please share in the comment section below.

I am going to leave you with a thought I learned growing up in sports, practice makes perfect but it also makes consistency. Enjoy your weekend!

 Thank you for reading.


 

10 comments:

  1. Talking my dog for walks during this beautiful weather helps my soul.Get outside for a little bit each day, enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting outside is important for the mind, body, and soul. The sun helps us and breathing in some fresh air all important while practicing social distancing. Thanks for reading and commenting! Stay Well!

      Delete
  2. Great information! Creating a routine and taking moments to reflect on the blessings in my life has helped me maintain a positive outlook during this time. Taking small moments to focus on my inner peace has become part of my routine. Reading this information confirms that I am on a good path. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be honest, I was good at keeping routines until we had to stay at home. I have realized the difference and negative effects not keeping a schedule has had on me. For the last two days I've gone back to my pre school closure and stay at home order schedule. Waking up early and working out, having breakfast before logging into work...well I'm usually eating breakfast when I get started with work but I have made progress. Additionally my watch goes off every hour and reminds me to stand and take a minute of mindful breathing. So I think you and I are on the same track. Thank you for reading and your comment. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Great information. Thanks for keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome and thank you for reading and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. Great Job! Useful information. I am going to strive to become a preventionist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This terminology was so helpful to me in many ways. As an educator I often hear and find myself focused on interventions but I was reminded by Dr. Brackett that I need to re-evaluate and take a closer look at how I can prevent things from happening in school/work with children and at home in my personal life. Thank you so much for reading and interacting with me. Be well!

      Delete
  5. Kiana this is amazing! Yes, this was a wonderful Webinar we attended yesterday!This will help all of us to survive and be healthy all around. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and leaving a comment. I have found myself challenging my best practices during this time of stay at home. There was so much meat and potatoes in this seminar/webinar that I found myself taking what I can use for myself and sharing what maybe useful to others. Thank you again. Be well!

      Delete